My response to Christians who are boycotting ‘The Shack’ film.

I was recently contacted by a precious woman from a marketing firm that works for Lionsgate films. She liked my mommy/lifestyle blog and also saw I was a Christ follower. She gave me VIP seats to attend the advance screening of The Shack and also allowed any of my followers to come for free as well!

I was really excited about this opportunity as I read the book years ago and really loved it. Unfortunately, my excitement was put at bay a little once I started seeing articles circulating around about how “anti-Christian” and “blasphemous” the book, and now film, was, in some Christians’ opinions.
Friends, can I just tell you… can I please just tell you… how wrong these people are.

How to make income from your blog!

I am a person who takes blaspheme against God and reverence towards Him VERY seriously. I will walk out of a theater with actors who are cursing His name every other sentence. I don’t like jokes that are made about God or Jesus and won’t be around someone who is trying to tell them. It would be like me just standing there listening while someone is talking bad about my mama, my husband, my kids, or my family. Not gonna happen.

So believe me when I tell you I had my eyes, ears, and senses PEELED when I went to watch The Shack last night.

I didn’t hear the film say there was no hell. I didn’t hear the film say that sin is not judged and there are no consequences for sin. I did not hear the film say that God is a woman or a man. In fact, God revealed himself as a man in one scene and a woman in another. I did not see idolatry and blasphemy and “universalism” themes. Many things these articles accused the film of, I simply did not find.

What I DID see is the film give a beautiful, beautiful REPRESENTATION of the absolute LOVE and ADORATION that Jesus has for us. How the Holy Spirit is so tender and comforts us in a way only He can. And how God is His infinite wisdom and mercy knows just what we need and when and how to give it to us. And that’s right, I saw a REPRESENTATION. Just like going to see a Christmas play where actors are representing Jesus, angels, and Biblical characters. We all know those characters aren’t God and aren’t pretending to actually BE God in their hearts. Likewise, the author of The Shack was not intending for you to think these characters are actually God, but was rather showing the love and characteristics of God through human terms which is in a way we can understand the most. I could go on and on, but would like to refrain from too many spoilers for those who will be seeing it so instead will give you this to ponder.

Fellow Christ followers, did you ever think that maybe the film and book’s main goal WASN’T to reach you who are apparently seasoned, discipled, and on your way to heaven?? Maybe it was meant for the movie goer who shows up at the theater unsure of what they want to see, picks this film, and ends up wrecked by God. Maybe it’s for the atheist who has questions about God and will stumble in to see this film just to *see* if there’s anything real to this Jesus business they’ve heard about. Maybe it’s for the suicidal teen who has cried out to God one last time and said “God, if you’re real and you want me to stay on this earth… SHOW ME!”

Or maybe… it IS for you. Maybe it is for the seasoned Christian who has been dealing with a pain they’ve tucked deep into their core and haven’t dealt with yet because it just hurts too bad.

Maybe it IS for the Christian who just feels he is in a spiritual rut and can’t seem to “feel” the love of God anymore and needs a reminder.

Maybe it IS for the Christian who hasn’t really forgiven the person who stole her innocence when she was just a child and she bears that ball and chain everyday.

Maybe this film IS for you.

Please please realize friend, The Shack IS NOT the Bible. This film IS NOT the Bible. BUT it has so many Biblical truths that show who my Jesus is and how our God is a GOOD God despite every tragedy we face in this life. And while we are on the subject, I found nothing said or done in the film that did not line up with God’s word. This is a wonderful film that I, along with most of the audience, cried through as the presence and love of God filled the theater.

I’ll leave you with this beautiful testimony. I had the absolute pleasure last night of meeting the beautiful Christine D’Clario. She’s a Latina, Christian music artist who worships in English and Spanish and has such a heart after God. Last night she shared how she picked up a copy of this book while on a plane one day…. and couldn’t put it down. She shares how God used this book as a tool to work through the healing she so desperately needed in her life. As a victim of sexual abuse and losing her father at the tender age of 6, she had unbearable grief and anger tucked deep inside of her. Christine told me God used The Shack to begin the healing and forgiveness process in her life and she has never been the same.

My sister Charity Santibanez, Christine D’Clario, Me, sweet friend Kristi Patel.

Let this film do that for someone you know. Let it do that for you. Someone may not go to church with you, but they may go see this film. And then they may go to church with you. Guess what? This film may show them that God wants a deep relationship with him or her. It will answer the question they may have of “why does a ‘good’ God allow evil things to happen to good people?”. This film may show them some deep, Biblical truths that they truly had never been taught. Trust God to use this film for His glory and to fill everything else in that that person needs to know. That’s the Holy Spirit’s job. John 16:13 says “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth.” Let this perhaps be a door that opens hearts to our savior, Jesus.

I know that’s what I’m going to do.

Be blessed, my friends, and may this movie touch you the way it did me.

Olmos There,

Crystal Olmos.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog (below) & follow me on Instagram:  @crystalolmosthere

Follow this link to learn how to make income from your blog via sponsorships and your readers.

Still against ‘The  Shack’? Or have you seen it and are loving it? Either way, this next post is for you and shares a bit of my personal testimony. Link is below. Be blessed!

To my fellow Christians who are boycotting ‘The Shack’ (and those who are loving it!)- here’s how God can use you.

197 Comments Add yours

1. Alice says:

Thank you for this explanation , I started reading the book while I was working at CMS and I put it down and didn’t finish it ,I am a Christian but I had some doubts about the book ,I will try to go see it to find out for myself ,you seem sincere in what you wrote here thank you crystal for a beautiful explanation of it all

1. crystalolmos says:

Hi Alice, totally understandable girl. I really see it through the perspective of someone who just needs to feel and see the love of God is a tangible way, and to me, this is such a beautiful REPRESENTATION that I believe and pray will reach many, many people! God bless Mrs. Gunter and let me know what you think!

2. Teri says:

Alice, I also started reading the book when it first came out. I was really uncomfortable with it and felt a little offended in the spirit when God appeared as a woman…. I never finished the book. My husband, on the other hand, read the book and ABSOLUTELY LOVED ALL OF IT!. We are both Christians and have been for 30+ years. Fast forward, we both went and saw the movie this weekend…..and I have to say…the movie is WAY BETTER THAN THE BOOK! There wasn’t one thing that was blasphemous in my opinion. The part where God is a woman is very well explained in the movie and it is not implying that God is a man, a woman or anyone other than God. But the representation/symbolism is beautiful. I could explain this but don’t want to give the movie away. I honestly have to say that The Shack is about the best Christian movie I have seen. It is well written, the characters are well cast and believable, and as a seasoned believer, I walked away from this movie with an even greater understanding of God the Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit. It is the best illustration of them and the love they have for EVERY CHILD….. It actually brought up where I have judged some people in my life and truly led me to repentance. I am forgiven and I have forgiven. I know all of this already but this movie truly inspires us to know God more and to see others as God sees them. It gives us a glimpse and illustration of how He sees US…. Don’t let your initial feelings about the book keep you from this movie. I truly hope you and others take the chance and go see it. Your life will be changed – no matter where you stand with God.

1. crystalolmos says:

Amen!!!! Wonderfully said. I found when I quit having a religious spirit, God began to show me more and more of WHO He is. Not to throw the baby out with the bath water… there is a time of judgement and there is a hell and unrepented sin will take you there… but there’s so much more to the gospel than that, yet so many want to focus on that only. May the Holy Spirit convict us and change us to be exactly who God wants us to be!

2. Marie Evans says:

I think you people are truly missing the point of Christianity and don’t even now theology. I would employ you to pick up your denominational confession of faith and look it over before you start taking in another’s theology about “who God is and how he operates” as doctrine. The Five Basic Doctrines of the Christian Faith are essential to every Christians faith in Christ.

“The author of The Shack subverts various essential doctrines of the Christian faith in his book. In doing so, he conveys what he thinks about God and Christ according to his own Universalist teachings.

You say, “Surely you jest!” No! For solid documentation based on factual testimony about this, please read The Story Behind The Story in James B. De Young’s Burning Down The Shack. In this chapter of De Young’s book, he clearly reveals and documents how William Paul Young [The Shack] personally handed De Young [Burning Down The Shack] his “103-page, single-spaced…embrace of universal reconciliation” – previous to William P. Young’s publication of The Shack.

The following is one of the subtitles in De Young’s book Burning Down The Shack, which exposes Paul Young’s beliefs. Found on page XIII we read this:

The Unacknowledged Background to The Shack: Paul’s Embrace of universal Reconciliation

Several more subtitles in Burning Down The Shack include, To Continue the Story behind the Novel: Paul’s Life Changed by His Embrace of Universal Reconciliation (p.XV) , and, Examples from Paul’s Defense of Universal Reconciliation (p.XVI).

It is the responsibility of pastors, teachers and church elders, to not only nurture and feed God’s flock, but to expose heresy, aberrant teachings, false teachers and false prophets – in order to faithfully and lovingly WARN God’s flock. Those that fail to do so not only disqualify themselves from serving in a position of biblical Eldership and leadership, but they end up lead others astray!

“Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first” (2Thessalonians 2:3)

A falling away of the Christian faith is certainly happening across the world. Sadly, many of those who are a part of it are wholeheartedly embracing the counterfeit universal reconciliation Jesus that William Paul Young has ever-so-craftily created in The Shack.

2. Melodies Nobles says:

You nailed it. That is the purpose of this book/movie…for the unsaved. Christian churchgoers are too busy trying to figure out who the characters represent..I Jesus, the holy spirit, God. We are spits that are not male or female. God’s love and forgiveness is what this is about, not whether a man or woman plays Jesus! It will reach maNY who are hurting.

1. crystalolmos says:

Amen! May Jesus’s love fill every theater and bless every person who is hurting and needs to feel His love!

3. Carol Vance says:

Many years ago I saw the movie “Jesus Christ Superstar”. There were many bad things said about that movie by the Christian community but that movie sparked an interest in me to find out who Jesus was. I was not a Christian at the time but soon became a Christian after seeing that movie and embarking on a quest to find Jesus. That was over forty years ago. Christian movies are for non-christians to discover what they are missing without Christ.

1. crystalolmos says:

Wow, what a testimony Carol! If God could use a talking donkey as he did in the Bible, how much more can he use a book or a film? Love this!

4. Diane Seals says:

Thank you for the blog. Read the book years ago. As a Christian yes I know God loves me but this book helped me reap my head around just how much He loves us. After reading the book it gave me a truer feeling of closeness to God. Most people want to put God up on a pedestal. That isn’t were He wants to be. He wants us to talk to him and spend time with Him just as we would our mother ,father, or our grandparents someone near and dear to us. By reading the book helped me understand that.

5. Annette Newborn says:

Thank you for saying what I felt from seeing it

6. Kenyon Powers says:

Hey sister, I couldn’t have said it better myself! Your thoughts are exactly my thoughts so I just posted yours on my Facebook page! I loved the book and they did an outstanding job on the movie. I want to watch it again, I was crying so much I may have missed something. We just lost our nephew in November, he was a newlywed of 10 months. This movie helped me so much deal with the pain. I had been asking God the same questions Mac asked Papa. The movie is such a blessing and God has and will use it. It makes me sad that some people are going to miss out.

1. crystalolmos says:

I’m soooo very sorry to hear this! God is so good girl and I know He is the healer of hearts! So glad that the Holy Spirit knows how to comfort, convict, and meet us where we are. I love the scripture that says God’s kindness leads us to repentance. He know how to reach His children. He’s such a great and mighty God! Be blessed sister!

7. deanna blevins says:

I am a Christian. I have very strict beliefs and I absolutely loved the book. I will see the movie. Thank you for your insight.

1. crystalolmos says:

Amen and you’re so welcome!

8. Cheryl Barrett says:

All of you gave such beautiful responses. Thank all of you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. To give someone, everyone a deeper under understanding of what this movie has set out to do. To gather more of GOD’s children to HIM with blessing them with knowledge of a life with HIS amazing Love. A love like no other and to find a peace in their heart that can not be compared to. I love who I am because of Christ and I wish for this movie to explode with its love and purpose. May it prove its point with overwhelming reaching power to all of GOD’s children.

9. John says:

You write: “It will answer the question they may have of ‘why does a ‘good’ God allow evil things to happen to good people?’”. This is one of the most pernicious lies of the book/movie. It does not answer this question biblically. That is my reason for not recommending this movie.

1. crystalolmos says:

Did you read the book or see the movie? What was the answer and how did you find it unbiblical?

1. I found the answer to that question in The Shack, to be both Biblical and beautiful:
        “Just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies, doesn’t mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don’t ever assume that my using something means I caused it or needed it to accomplish my purposes…. Grace doesn’t depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering, you will find grace in many facets and colors.”

2. Bryan says:

If that is what you are hanging your hat on, I would ask you to reconsider. Jesus speaks in the Gospels, beginning with the words, “The Kingdom of Heaven is like…….”, and He speaks a parable. That’s what this is; a long parable. Does it answer the question, Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people? Maybe for some yes. Maybe for others, no. Does that make it a lie and a reason not to see the movie or read the book? I hope not.

Liked by 3 people

10. T Jones says:

Biblical illiteracy is the reason “christians” see nothing wrong with The Shack.. Lack of understanding the fundamentals of the Christian faith is why the church is in terrible shape and somehow loves anything stamped “christian”… Please do your research and read the Bible.

Liked by 4 people

1. crystalolmos says:

I read my Bible everyday T Jones. And I’m very discerning of things labeled, “Christian” believe me. I wish more Christians would see the heart of God and how He felt about the Pharisees and their “religious” spirits. I’ve outlined my beliefs on how this film will help the lost which is who Jesus came to seek and save. Luke 19:10. Sometimes people are so heavenly minded, they’re no earthly good. Ministry tools that help reach God’s people, especially through Hollywood, mean something. I trust that my God is big enough and the Holy Spirit is great enough to lead people to Him. If he wants to use a donkey, an inspirational allegory, a tragedy or a small child, He will and can do so. May we not be blinded by a religious spirit and be more like Jesus every day. And yes, sin is sin, hell is real, and sin can not enter into heaven. I pray we can all clean up around our own doors and be everything God has called us to be and above all, LOVE our neighbor and trust the Holy Spirit to do His work in their lives! God bless you T Jones!!

2. Pk says:

…and people like you are why I’m no longer in the church.

1. Norman Bacon says:

PK – I liked the comment from Jesus (movie), when Mac pressed him on the point of the ‘free will’ that resulted in the murder of Mac’s 6 yr old daughter: “I want friends, not slaves.”

11. Karen says:

Thank you for sharing so eloquently how I felt when I read the book and saw this movie. I wish everyone could experience it.

12. Brenda rushing says:

I saw the Shack last night and I enjoyed it very much. even as a Christian it shows you forgiveness and being judgemental of others. I believe God can come to us in any form as he appeared in the movie. love and forgiveness, continuing to keep our eyes on God because he never leaves us.

13. Andrea Beeney says:

I am a Christian an i personally believe everyone should watch the Shack….It teaches you on forgiveness and bout not judging people….It truly got something out of the movie!!

14. Joan Holt says:

Your post was spot on! I read the book and loved it! Look forward to seeing the movie. I attended a speaking engagement by Mr Young. He was delightful! As he shared with the group..He wrote this book for his children to make the mystery of the Trinity clearer to them…to open their minds to the full extent of God’s relationship with us. Mr Young asked his friend to read his manuscript for an opinion. He was the one that convinced Mr Young to publish the book. I truly believe God has blessed his effort .
    Thanks for your insight on the possibilities of the story’s message for many people.

1. crystalolmos says:

Wow, I love this. Thank you so much for your reliable, first person account of Mr. Young’s heart. Many people falsely believe he’s a Universalist although he’s said many times he is not. I know God is blessing people through this film and the Holy Spirit big time! Amen!

15. Robert Ethridge says:

In our Bible God has taken on many forms to speak to people. If you will recall he actually spoke through an ass, burning bush, Angel and send messages through other people. Why couldn’t He use the image of a woman to bring a message? It is wonderful that this movie has come out.

16. Ann says:

I read the book years ago because a friend gave it to me. I thought it odd at first but as I read more it really was a very good book

17. Cindy Elliott says:

Thank you for sharing this! You beautifully said everything that I was thinking about this wonderful movie. I have been so criticized for going to see this movie, and saying it is good. Yes, I have shared your post!

1. crystalolmos says:

You’re so welcome Cindy! God is truly good and I know He is using this movie for His glory. I don’t say that lightly or about every “Christian” movie either but you can’t deny the presence of God when watching this film. Praise Jesus for the many God will touch.

18. Lisa Rodgers says:

Such a wonderful movie !!!! I loved it and I laughed and I cried. ; I sang and I smiled. !!!!! I read the book but the movie brings it to light !!!!!

1. crystalolmos says:

Yes!!! The Holy Spirit filled the theater!!! You can never deny the beautiful presence of God! Oh how He loves us and His kindness leads us to repentance!

19. Terri L Madison says:

Went this afternoon with 2 of my daughters, daughter-in-law and son. The movie is wonderful. The reason for God as a woman the first seeing of her is that she is a person Mack as a child trusted when he was abused by his father.
    The movie is just really good showing of forgiveness, judgement and just understanding the Trinity.
    Many Christians or non-Christains who have had something terrible in their past should be able yo relate to this movie and receive a better understanding of forgiveness and judgement.
    We enjoyed the movie and pray it touches just 1 person and that person touches 1 and so on and so on..

1. crystalolmos says:

Amen! Our God is soooo good!

20. Stacey says:

I finished the book Friday and went to see the movie today. The movie is good, but the book…WOW!!! Although Christian fiction, it really made me think about the way I see God at times, and confirms my studies on forgiveness. (Something I struggle with after learning my child was a victim of abuse.). If you like the movie, the book is 100x better!!!! I have always been a Christian, but this has me reevaluating the strength in my walk. I, for one, see myself digging deeper into The Word because of it!

1. crystalolmos says:

Amen Stacey!!! Our God is so BIG and so GOOD!

21. Karen Hathorn says:

I haven’t seen the movie yet but the main thing the book showed me was that, all too often, we put God in a box. It’s a box of our own making that limits Him to how He can work in our lives. When looking for the Messiah, the Jewish leaders of that time were looking for a conquering warrior king. The shepherds and wise men were the only ones that looked for a babe-the most helpless of all God’s creatures. Thank you for the review. I’m looking forward to seeing the movie.

1. crystalolmos says:

Absolutely! Wow, love this! You are so right about the Jewish leaders. And sweet Jesus came as a babe born in a manger! May the “Pharisees” of our day be changed and see Jesus for who He truly is! Start with me Lord!

22. Very good! That’s what people don’t understand. People in their ivory tower of their theological kingdoms have scripted answers for unscripted lives and it’s no wonder people need something like The Shack to offer them hope for healing in the midst of tragedy. I am so frustrated with Piper and others who know nothing but the letter of the law and nothing about the Spirit of the law. They don’t know how to “eat the meat and spit out the bones” but they simply disregard the meat and point at all the bones.

23. Susie says:

I read the book years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it…I am looking forward to the movie. I met Jesus when I was 33 years old, have worked at my church for 25 years, and just turned 70. For the last 2 years I have dealt with overwhelming anxiety (which I never had ever!) it has been painful and tumultuous, and sometimes I felt like I was completely losing it…but I know I have not been alone…I put it this way: I feel like I was ‘gray’ and now I’m ‘color’….and I have compassion and love for people of all faiths and no faith. All I know is that Jesus is so much bigger than I ever thought, so NOT religious, and is not one bit surprised at all my questions and doubts…and loves me beyond them. I think this movie is for me, for sure.💕

24. Sheila Robinson says:

If you will notice the movie went along with the book and as for me I really loved this movie and it touched me and I did cry and I don’t see how that you couldn’t keep from crying if you have not seen it please go.

25. Donna Stroud says:

Thank you, Crystal Olomos for posting this! I totally agree with you. I’ve read the book twice, and I went to see the movie last night. The movie was wonderful just like the book. If reading this book or watching the movie leads anyone to having a relationship with our Heavenly Father or becoming even closer to Him, then that makes the book and movie even more wonderful. I’ve also watched an interview with the author, William Paul Young, where he explains how the book came to be because of experiences in his life. The most important and loving relationship we can ever experience is one with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and that is the message I took away from reading “The Shack” and watching the movie. God’s love is unconditional. He is always with us, and He is especially fond of you and me. Read the book, see the movie, or both and simply feel and be blessed!!! ❤

1. crystalolmos says:

Thank you for the beautiful article you published. To God be all the glory!

26. Debbie Gunnoe says:

Do these same Christians likewise boycott C.S. Lewis and the Narnia series, specifically “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”? His books, too, were his way of presenting God to us in an imaginative way. I just don’t get it…

27. Denise says:

I think the concern a lot of people have is the gross lies universalism protrays. I have not seen the movie yet.

1. crystalolmos says:

Absolutely, Denise. And it is a concern and isn’t right! However, Young himself has said numerous times that he is not a universalist and doesn’t support its ideals and that the Bible does not support it. The story does not support universalism either but rather points to Jesus and His heart and having a relationship with Him! (Which is what Christianity TRULY is all about!) I am pro-Jesus and pro-loving others as Jesus states are the two greatest commandments and against such there is no law. If someone doesn’t want to see the movie, that’s totally okay. But I just hate for someone to bash a movie that is Spirit-filled and God is using to touch so many lives! God bless you sister!

28. Rhonda says:

This article is straight on and I couldn’t add not one thing. I experienced many of the things written and as the movie evolved was an absolutely beautiful reflection of the love I have for My Lord. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Blessings in Our Blessor!

1. crystalolmos says:

Thank you sweet Rhonda! To God be all the glory!!!! Yes…. this shows the Jesus I know and love and serve!!!! He’s a good God yet a just God.

29. T.C. Allen says:

Personal prejudices are sometimes our greatest stumbling block to hurdle.

Best regards.

30. Rose McCluney says:

Crystal, your words were beautifully said and everyone should have a better understanding of “The Shack”. Like I said I haven’t read the book nor have I seen the movie, but I am pulled to this movie for other reasons and due to being in touch with my true spiritual side I know the reasons. I know I will be seeing “The Shack” several times due to the spiritual message that needs to be shared with others. People just need to realize there is a spiritual side and a human/ mortal side and know how to be in touch with both. Thank you for posting such a beautiful, touching and truthful meaning about “The Shack” . You may have helped a lot of people it’s your kind words and explanation of the movie that they will now decide to see the movie. Only God will know what message each person will receive from watching the movie.
    God Bless you Crystal, your sister in Christ Rose !

31. Gail says:

Thank you for this. I also think it is important to remember the source of the book on which the movie is based. It is a record of one man’s experience as he related it. God can reveal Himself in so many ways–any way He chooses–that He knows will be relatable to us. Neither the book nor the movie claim to be the word of God, a theology class, or a sermon! It is a movie. It is a representation (a moving one) of one man’s spiritual experience. It makes no claim of being anything more or anything less. Having had a very real spiritual experience myself during a medical crisis that should not have been survivable, I appreciate that aspect. People may certainly differ on how they perceive aspects of the book or movie, but I don’t understand how those who have neither read the book nor seen the movie feel that they can condemn them.

32. Linda McGaughey says:

Thank you for you non judgemental commentary on this movie. The stirring of the Holy spirit brought tears to my eyes as I read it. I have read the book and do believe that it can be a beautiful tool to heal and help bring people to God so they can find peace. Praying a blessing on your ministry.

33. Frankie says:

This movie was so good. People it was was beautiful.i have been in this mans shoes and believe me theres no beauty like it anywhere. I love the Lord with my heart and soul.i feel sorry for non believers. Great movie.

Liked by 1 person

34. Beautifully written, Could not have said it better:)))

Liked by 1 person

35. Could there be a disclaimer at the first of the film? Sure, and there could be something that relates the book and the movie as “Fictional” which should put to rest most if not all the questionable pieces in the movie.

36. rothpoetry says:

Amen!! You summed it up very well!!
    Dwight

37. Wanda says:

The only question I have as far as whether or not to see this movie is the fact that they have made an image of God. One of the Ten Commandments says Thou shalt not make any graven image of the Lord thy God. Isn’t that what they have done in the form of Papa? Just asking-seeking answer to this problem for me.

1. crystalolmos says:

Hi Wanda! Keep in mind this is an allegory… symbolic. They didn’t make an idol of Papa… the man/woman who play Papa at different parts of the story are portraying the characteristics of God. Wouldn’t graven images be more like statues of God that are worshipped? Putting that verse into context, God was commanding them/us to know the power of God is in Him alone and not it any idols/statues that can be and likely were made of Him. Hope this helps!

38. I had the honor of seeing this movie this weekend, I also read the book. Both, in my opinion, do the best job of showing and explaining The Holy Trinity!! Since I was a child I wondered how anyone could be “three in one”. God loved and loves us so very much that He/She will take on any form to reach our hearts!! Only He knows what we need and what will open the flood gates of our pain and pride so we can get on with the business of living a life fulfilled and full of love and forgiveness. Please dear brothers and sisters in Christ, don’t take anyone elses opinion of this movie, go see it for yourself, let God speak to you as each and every person in the theater is spoken to. Let this beautiful story change your life, because it can and will!!

39. Joan Phillips. says:

your review is 100% correct in my opinion. Loved the movie. Both my husband and I were blessed watching it. I came away blessed and with deeper understanding of the scriptures and about the 3 fold cord being hard (actually impossible to break) as it represents the Perfect Love of God shared by the 3 persons of the trinity. What a loving example of the trinity. They are bound together and can NOT be separated. What is in one, is in all 3 beings.

40. Judd McKendry says:

Thank you for your “pure eye,” your refreshing comments were an inspiration. I shared countless copies of the book with hurting patients. So much hope and restoration was made possible. The “pure eye, “verse comes from Luke 11:33 through 36 (NLT). It goes on to say “but an evil eye shut out the light and plunges you into darkness.” As Christians we must aim for “GLORY”. I have been amazed how God uses things for his own purposes and glory that we’re not particularly appealing to me. Thank you for shedding the old skin so that the new skin made ready by the Holy Spirit so here’s love can flow. I love the song “Lord I want to be like Jesus, in my heart. “Lord help us never sing the song of the PhariseeWho knows so much, but knows nothing of his presence. May his presence be real to us all. Blessings

41. mkheadley49 says:

Years ago “Bond’s Feet on High Places” changed my life. It was a beautiful allegory about letting go and giving your life fully to God. ALLEGORY. As is “The Shack.”

42. Karen says:

I appreciate your comments. As a born again Christian many moons, and having read the book twice, and still often recollecting how it helped me understand how God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit were with me right here in my living room or wherever I was, deeply loving me and caring for me….the naysayers articles appalled me. I will definitely watch the movie. Thank you so much. I am so happy this came across my FB timeline. No doubt in my mind God had His hand in it and wanted me to read it. From another sister in Christ from Missouri.

43. Tami Patterson says:

Amen…when I first had the opportunity to read The Shack, I was so moved and inspired that I walked straight into Borders and purchase ten copies to share with perfect strangers I met on the streets. As a believer I saw beauty in this book and how sweet and precious forgiveness truly is and that God loves the broken, frustrated and hardened souls in all of us. All we have to do is surrender our darkest part of us and commit our spirits into his hands thru the blood of Jesus. I am looking forward in viewing this movie and I can’t imagine how the directors we’re able to pour out the beauty as the author poured it into the book . Be blessed and be a blessing!

44. Richard says:

Why continue to look for “Who God is ?”
    He has completely revealed Himself in His Word.
    If you know His Word and have read any of The Shack the boycott answer is clear. My opinion.

1. crystalolmos says:

But what about those who haven’t read His word? Or don’t know to look to God? What about them? What about those who are looking for God, but don’t know where to look? Not everyone was raised to know where to look. I love that God is using this film for His glory. Stay tuned for how we as Christians can help.

45. Delores Wilbur says:

I read the book a couple of months ago, and had a hard time at first with the ” woman God”, but I read the whole thing and enjoyed after I got rid of the reservations.I went to the movie Saturday and was spiritually moved as I confirmed to myself how much God and Jesus loves ALL of us. And how we need to quit being so judgemental and unforgiving. I absolutely loved this movie. I am a Christian woman and have been all my life and I KNOE God loves me, no matter what, and heoves you, a d you, and you and…!!!!?

46. Deb says:

Please don’t be condescending to Christians no matter where we are on our walk with Jesus. Your comment “Fellow Christ followers, did you ever think that maybe the film and book’s main goal WASN’T to reach you who are apparently seasoned, discipled, and on your way to heaven?? ” was hurtful!

1. crystalolmos says:

Deb, I’m sorry and never meant this to be hurtful. This comment is specifically to those who are boycotting the film and are too religious to see the film. I don’t believe this book or film was made for the religious, but rather those who are hurting and need to know that the God of the universe loves them, sent His son to die for them, and wants a close relationship with them. I never meant to hurt you and I’m so sorry! That’s not my heart.

47. Linda says:

I loved the book so I had to see the movie as soon as it came out. It made me want that kind of relationship with my “papa”. I am grounded in my faith so all the negativity doesn’t affect me. I just want to be that close to my Heavenly Father. I have a brother-in-law that doesn’t believe and he has some of the same questions as Mack did so I told my sister in law they really need to see this movie. By the way my brother in law is named Mack also.

1. crystalolmos says:

Amen!!! I trust the Holy Spirit will lead everyone to Jesus and the ONE true God. He’s that powerful!

48. Amelia says:

And yet – I have seen many line up to watch 50 shades of gray -disgusting to me –

49. Dorcas says:

I LOVED IT! It made life with God real. As with many films made, it was entertainment, not meant to follow the Bible. I am hoping many Christ followers and NON followers go and then continue or begin searching, asking questions and making great decisions in Jesus name!